Thursday, July 9, 2009

In Honor Of...

Born on Feb. 27th, 1930 and died on May 7th, 2009 was a man who meant the world to me, although the world will never know his name. That man was Victor H. Cosentino, my grandfather. He was born to Italian immigrants Vincenzo and Domenica Cosentino in Butler, PA. However, it is not him directly that this post is in memory or honor of. Here is a man, who wanted his life and his death to bring honor and glory to Christ. I do honor the memory of my grandfather because of the focus his life brings to Christ and not to himself.

A letter my grandfather was writing before he passed away was found by my grandmother a couple weeks ago. He made explicit statements in the letter that he did not want the memorial service to be about him, but to bring honor to the One who saved him. He was not a perfect man, but he was a godly man who desired to bring honor and glory to Christ. I love him and I miss him, but I know his joy has been made complete because he is seeing Christ face to face just as He is. And one day, he and I shall worship and enjoy Christ together in His presence.

So, it is not in memory or honor of my grandfather that I write this post. It is in celebration for the joy he is experiencing and the honor of his Savior! It is because of his loving obedience to Christ that my father learned to fear the Lord with all his heart and in turn, taught me to love and fear the Lord with all my heart. God worked through this man to draw three generations of Cosentinos to Himself, and hopefully a fourth as my baby girl comes to know the loving grace of our Heavenly Father.